The victims of the calls have been between the ages of 11 and 16.
Calgary police are warning youth in the city about a man who has been using babysitting services to make “indecent phone calls.”
CPS also encourage babysitters to screen phone calls from blocked numbers.
According to police, there have been multiple complaints since the beginning of 2019 of a man phoning girls who advertise babysitting services online. The man calls from a blocked number and engages the minors in conversation. As the chat progresses, the calls become more inappropriate and graphic.
Due to these disturbing phone calls, the CPS is encouraging those who use babysitting service to:
- Not include a photograph of a babysitter on any website.
- Not answer phone calls from blocked/private numbers.
- Not include the babysitter’s phone number on websites and instead communicate via email initially.
- Make sure a parent or guardian is present and listening when the babysitter is communicating with the person looking to hire them.
- Never let a babysitter meet the individual hiring them alone.
Anyone who may have received these kinds of calls is asked to report them to police using the non-emergency number at 403-266-1234.
Indecent caller targets young babysitters. While babysitting services have a number of benefits, we encourage youth and their families to use thoughtful internet practices to keep kids safe. Read more: https://t.co/p0iBYpzYFp #yyc— Calgary Police (@CalgaryPolice) February 6, 2020